Wednesday 21 August 2013

Great British Vegan Bake Off

To celebrate the start of the Great British Bake Off yesterday I decided to be creative with my vegan baking so  I made a Apple and Blackberry Vegan Cake. I decided to do a vegan cake as I have a few friends who are vegan and I have started to enjoy vegan bakery as a classical pastry chef I love lots of butter, cream and eggs.

Here is the Recipe

Ingredients

350g Plain Flour
50g Cornflour
4tsp Vanilla Extract
1tsp Bicarb of Soda
2tsp Baking Powder
450g Caster Sugar
500ml Sweetened Soya Milk
2tsp Cider Vinegar
160ml Sunflower Oil
1 Punnet of Blackberries
2 Braeburn Apples (peeled and sliced)

Method

Pre heat your oven at 180c and line a 10" cake tin (i used a square)
1. Mix together the soya milk with the cider vinegar and set to one side and leave to thicken slightly.
2. Sieve together all the dry ingredients and mix in the sugar. Mix the vanilla and oil in with the soya milk.
3. Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and add in the soya milk mix and mix until a smooth batter is formed.
4. Fold through the blackberries and bake for 10 minutes, take the cake out of the oven and arrange the sliced apples on the top of the cake. Return the cake to the oven for 30 minutes (do the skewer test).


I found this cake perfect for a cup of tea but would also be good as a desert served with custard.



Happy Baking and hope you all have a lovely weekend and go baking crazy.

Katie


1 comment: